It is great to keep an eye on BBC Bitesize as it prompts you to venture outside of your normal planned learning experiences.
While browsing through the lessons I spotted this art stimulation for soap sculptures.
I had recently been shopping and had fortuitously bought a pack of three bars of soap to replenish supplies in the house and the caravan… serendipitous I hear you shout!
So we had a go.
What went well? WWW
- They loved working in a new medium
- The video was engaging and suggested a few different activities
- The soap spelt lovely
- We could actively use the end product and see them every day
Even Better If (EBI)
- We had planned a bit more thoroughly before hacking at the soap
- There was more direction on how to cut and scrape the soap (a knife on the blunt side gently scraping!)
- The mess of soap flakes was quite something to behold
- Making a shape emerge from a 3D mass is quite a challenging concept for little minds
Despite the challenges we produced some lovely work and had a lot of fun.
Flossy produced a soap version of purple penguin, so did Felicity.
Freya made a rabbit who is currently being used in the house bathroom for hand washing!
I used all the recycled flakes to make a fourth bar of soap so as not to waste too much!